21 November 2009

The Custom Day



21st November 2009 - This was the date given by the fengshui lady for our family in which it is called "ko tai lei" in chinese. Traditionally, on this date, the groom's family is supposed to send the wedding gifts to the bride's family and on this date as well, our "wedding bedroom" is being done up, and on this date, red cloth will be hung up on the main door. However, as my in-laws are from Brunei, we do it the modern way!

Lets start with my family first.

My parents woke up at 6am, went to the market to shop for pork meat, fishes, prawns...etc. (I was still sleeping soundly at this time). 9.30am, I helped my parents to prepare for ancestor prayer (note: though I am a Christian, I do still follow the traditional customs as a respect for my family), hang up the red cloth on our main door, laying down dishes on the table, chasing after flies...

My mom & dad in Brunei.



Laying our "wedding bed" with new bed linen, sheets and comforter, putting up little red papers that has the "prosperous word" on it, putting up a tray of rice, tea cups, ...etc on the bed, preparing new hankies and towels, putting lamps around the bedroom...

At the same time, talking to the in-laws in KL (my parents) to see if all is in order. Both side busy preparing the wedding at their respective countries and liaising via skype and cellphone! How cool is that?

Back to KL.

My family and I went through the dinner list one more time. We arranged the guests sitting, making final confirmation with the guests, typing out the table numbers, negotiating on who get the front tables...in the end, the front goes to my relatives. Hmm, why do "youngsters" always become the backbenchers?  Guess its because they are always the noisy bunch?! : p

Ahhh.... finally I get to relax now. I still have got my OWN bedroom to clean up. But I think I'll push that task a little later on. Today, I'm treating my bridesmaids for a relaxing facial spa at Leonard Drake. Time to work on the face, neck & shoulder people!




The customary lamp to be placed around our "wedding bedroom"
So cute! It runs on battery!


No comments: