17 May 2011

First Fever Attack

Hayden has fever.

I felt something was not right when I carried him in my arms today. His body was warm. I caressed his face with my cheek and I felt his temperature. I knew then.

I marched into my bedroom, took out the digital thermometer and placed it between his armpit. 37.3...37.5...37.8...38.0...38.5...38.6. It beeped at 38.6.

I googled immediately for references on how high is 38.6 celcius (I knew the answer but somehow secretly wishing to find some articles that would tell me there is nothing to worry about as I was almost having an anxiety attack). It was a pointless thing to do. Any temperature higher than 37.5 C/ 100.4 F is considered high! I thought, 'could it be due to teething?' But teething does not cause fever with temperature greater than 100.4 F. I took his Uphamol (paracetamol) bottle out from the fridge (we got it from the hospital previously to relieve fever after his injections) and started rubbing the bottle between my palms, just to warm it up (like how we warm our hands during winter times). Soon after, I took his medicine tube and pumped out 2.2ml of the orange liquid and into his mouth. He drank it to my relief!

Now, Hayden is fast asleep in his bed. I am giving him a close monitoring. I read in one online article that if my baby is cooing, smiling and still want to reach for an object, he should be considered all right (Hayden is doing that). It also says, when the baby has fever we must sponge him and not wrap him tightly under the blanket, so to cool his body temperature down. I am doing exactly that as well.

Don't think I will have a good night sleep tonight. Anyhow, Hayden is a million times more important than my sleep and I will be constantly getting up from my bed every hour to check on him.

Goodnight my dear readers. Will be bringing my little darling son to see his doctor tomorrow. I pray that all is well. Pray with me too.

No comments: