24 July 2011

Pastry Chef?

I am hungry. Its 2.36pm and I still have not taken my lunch yet! Talk about food, I turned myself into a pastry chef yesterday for the first time in my life. Hubby said that motherly instinct has kicked in eversince I became a mother...... Wow! Really?

After celebrating my mother's belated birthday yesterday with a great dimsum buffet at Oriental Pavilion, we head off to shop for groceries. I walked along the aisle and stopped at the baking section. I filled my cart with baking powder, icing sugar, vanila extract, flour, chocolate chips and some rice chips. I pushed through to the lactose section with milk and cream and these items came tumbling into my shopping cart as well. From there, I head over to the fruits section and got my pick of fresh strawberries and kiwi. My adrenalin was pumping as I was about to make my very first chocalate chip cupcake and a pavlova! Yes! 2 desserts for a first time chef wannabe like me! Pretty tall order I must say. But I know I can do it!

It was a fun filled day for mom and I. She loves to bake and I love to watch Masterchef Australia. So I got her to help me with my 2 pastries. As we both have never made cupcakes or pavlova before, we got some help from online recipes. Well, did it turn out good? The answer is pretty obvious....it was near DISASTER! For Masterchef standard that is...


My meringue looking glossy and smooth!

Looking pretty good at this stage!

  

Ta da! Look wise could have been better.
But flavour wise, its good I was told!



Reading recipes whilst baking


Cupcake fresh from the oven...
the shapes kinda odd looking though



Cupcakes supposed to be round shape isn't it?
It became a love shape cupcake...well, better than nothing :D

No comments: