06 February 2010

Nightmare at Section 17

I never knew it would happen to me. Never. Thought I was careful enough. But I guess I was not.

Time: 9.00am
Location: Shell Station, Section 17 (near Jln Universiti)

I was driving towards my office when the light kept blinking. I thought to myself, I'd better fill up the petrol now instead of waiting till after work. I went straight to the nearest petrol kiosk. It was full. But I found one empty spot in the middle.

As usual, like any normal routine, I came out with my wallet, took out my credit card, put it in the machine. When the machine indicated "APPROVED" I began filling up the car. As I was filling up (I was still holding on to my wallet on my left hand - standing right next to my car at the side of the rear) my eyes darted towards the running meter. I looked at my watch. 9.00am. Damn! I'm going to be late for work! As my eyes continue to look at the meter with my right hand pressing in harder on the trigger, I felt a jerk on my left hand. WTF?!

I held on harder to my wallet as I looked to my left. A man with a helmet came REALLY CLOSE TO MY FACE ON HIS MOTORBIKE pulled harder and snatched my wallet away from me! I shouted on top of my lungs (I always wondered how my actual yell for help would sound like, now I know. Sounds like a mad woman) and my instant reaction was, I pulled out the petrol pump (thinking it was a gun), and started pointing towards the man. I wanted to spray the petrol all over him (if I could think further, I could have used a lighter and light him up!). But in that spur of the moment, I was merely pointing the petrol pump in his direction, my fingers were numbed. I did not press the trigger. No petrol came out.

I was so pissed off. Good samaritans came to my aid. There were alot of witnesses who witnessed the incident. But no one saw the number plate. Calls were made to banks to cancel my credit cards. 2 good samaritans came to ask if I was all right and offerred to help me call the banks to cancel my cards. But like any other good banks, calls were made but the customer service officers of these banks were busy. No one picked up after a whole damn 5 minutes!

It was a terrible day. My beloved wallet is gone. 6 plastic cards gone. My first souvenir from my FIL, a BND cum SGD 20 note (2 in 1 dollar note) is gone. As a consolation, I only had RM13 in my wallet. Served that damn thieve right! Another consolation, I still got my IC and driving license with me.

I was trembling, traumatised after what had happenned. But after making the police report, I felt better. I am much better now. I want to skin that man alive now. However, that particular moment when the man came close to me and snatched the wallet away from me, that moment itself, was a moment of darkness that would be lingering at the back of my mind from now on.

Be careful. This country is not as safe as it used to be...anymore.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Cindy, sorry to hear about the experience. I cannot imagine the fright and the frustration of having someone take away something that belongs to you.

The part where you said you wished u had a lighter to light up the petrol and aim at the thief, was heck of an imagination for me...

Cindy Wong said...

Haha! That b*stard should have been burnt! Till today, I'm still countering my fear whenever I need to fill in petrol... :( And I've vowed not to step into that same petrol station anymore...never! Such a nightmare...