10 December 2011

Solar Eclipse

When one mentioned the word "eclipse", what would be the first thing that crosses your mind? Twilight? No, I ain't referring to the Stephanie Meyer Twilight's 3rd series, Eclipse. I am referring to the real eclipse. Solar eclipse the be exact. I have just witnessed this natural phenomenon just couple of minutes ago right here from my crib! Have you ever witnessed one before?

If I recall correctly, I have seen a solar eclipse when I was younger, during my high school days. Tonight, marked my second experience. What exactly is a solar eclipse?

As seen from the Earth, a solar eclipse occurs when the Moon passes between the Sun and the Earth, and the Moon fully or partially blocks the Sun as viewed from a location on Earth. This can happen only during a new moon, when the Sun and the Moon are in conjunction as seen from Earth. At least two, and up to five, solar eclipses occur each year; no more than two can be total eclipses. Total solar eclipses are nevertheless rare at any particular location because totality exists only along a narrow path on the Earth's surface traced by the Moon's umbra. - Souce: Wikipedia.

Hubby and I gazed up into the sky, blessed by the sight of the eclipse (as Hubby said, there will not be another one in another 60 years...) as we stood side by side. How true would that be, no one knows... except maybe, for our little Hayden whom by then would be able to witness another solar eclipse with his future wife, just like his mummy and daddy tonight... 

Solar Eclipse 10/12/11 23:14hr

Solar Eclipse 10/12/11, 23:43


 

No comments: