21 December 2011

And We Thought We Speak Good English!

It is the 3rd day in Singapore...and I am still in the office at this hour!

It has been quite fun these last 3 days especially with our colleague Shaun whom is British by the way. I have never realized how bad our English was until he made fun at the sentences we so commonly use:-

Sentence 1: Hi! How are you? Have you taken your lunch?
Shaun: Where should I take my lunch to?
Correct sentence should be: Have you eaten?

Sentence 2: She doesnt take beef. She's buddhist.
Shaun: But where does she want to take the beef to? Back to her house?
Correct sentence: She doesnt EAT beef.

Sentence 3: Do you want to follow my car?
Shaun: I won't be following your car, I'll just hop in it!
Correct sentence: Do you want a ride?

We had a few good laughs at how funny the way we communicate. Guess it is time for us to learn the proper English! The Queen's English that is!

No comments: