26 March 2011

Introducing Solids!

These days being a parent I have significantly changed my shopping list to suit more on my child lesser for myself . Today, when Hayden was given his Rotavirus oral vaccine and pneumococcal vacine, his pediatrician asked if all is well with him....

Dr Foo: Your baby is doing really well! Weight is good & really active too! Is he still eating well?

Me: Yes, but recently he gets really cranky and usually he will have his milk every 3 hours interval, but for the past 2-3 days, he gets hungry every 2 hours and would just continue to cry until I feed him again eventhough its not the time yet!

Dr Foo: Ahh.. this is the sign where you can start him with solid food! He cries because he is not full. So try to give him solid food once a day. You can either give him for breakfast, lunch or dinner.

Me: Really? But he is only 5 months old! I thought babies would only get to eat solid when they are 6 months.

Dr Foo: It all really depends on the baby. Since he has shown sign that milk is not enough for him, you can now try solid. 


So there I went getting excited about the fact that my little Hayden is gonna have his first solid today! After dropping him off at home, I went straight to the mall, screening through all the brands of baby food/cereal. My excitement turned not-so-excited-anymore when I was at the aisle filled with ROWS AND ROWS of baby food. There were Heinz, Nestle, etc and Nestle brand in particular has Stage 1, 2 3 and 4. For Stage 1 alone, there are "Rice Only - with milk" (blue tin), "Rice Only - without milk" (green tin), "Rice and Soya" (brown tin), "Brown rice" (pink tin). WHOOAA! I have no idea which to buy! After making some calls to my mom and my good girl friend Vivian (her baby is 1 month older than Hayden), I finally made up my mind. I went for the blue tin (RM9.60 for 250g).

At 8.30pm (2 hours ago), Hayden had his dinner. The cereal was pretty easy to make. 4 spoons of cereal (it is in power form but with texture) and 4oz of water. After mixing it, it becomes milky with some soft texture in it. He could actually drink it like his usual milk and he finished it all!

So what's next? I have to watch his poo of course! Lets hope his poo turns out normal tomorrow morning! 


Hayden's menu: Enfalac A+ & his new Nestle Cerelac 



No comments: